finished pit fire
1. To make a pit fire you first make a smooth piece that goes outward so the materials that will be burned can stick on. After you make your piece you need to bisque fire it. After it is bisque fires you add different materials that can be burned hat will add color and needs to be wrapped. You put the piece in a fire and let the materials burn and then apply a sealant after it has cooled down.
2. I feel like my piece was successful because of the colors created by the materials. If I were to make it again I would make it go out more and then come back in at the top.
3.i burned cat food on the bottom to create a dark bottom, the acid mixed with salt to created an orangey pink color. I added a piece of wood on the inside to give a Smokey look.
In progress paper mache - butterflies
1. Marissa and I worked on this monarch butterfly and we each did a wing separately and connected them to the body together.
2. First we had to create the shape to lay the paper mache onto. We used cardboard for the wings and paper for the body. After that we covered them with paper. To make the paper mache paste we mixed flour and water, ripped pieces of newspaper, dipped them into the paste and applied it on the mold. After the wings and body were dried we hot glued them together and applied a layer of paper towels to ensure they wereconnected.
3.One difficulty was connecting the wings and making sure they stayed on. Also it is difficult making sure the paper towels stayed smooth. A success is the shape of the body and the wings and the proportions.
1. To make the tripod mug you first had to roll out a slab of clay to the measurements you want for your mug. Once it is rolled and cute. You attach the two sides to make a cylinder. Then you slowly form one circular end to a triangle slowly connecting the points to make legs. After that is mostly dried and able to hold the weight of the mug, I carved out the design I wanted. I first used a needle tool to get the shape of my designs then a ribbon tool to make it more prominent. After it was fired a first time I added glaze and fired again.
2. I chose not to add a handle because I wanted to use it as a makeup brush holder.
3. I found the size and carving of my piece to be successful because it was what I had initially wanted. If I were to make it again i would make it more round and use a different color instead of the burgundy because it was very streaky.
4. A clay slab is a rolled flat piece of clay